Vacancy on Greek Row

The Kappa Sigma house rests empty at the bottom of Greek Row after the removal of its residents last fall.

With the year coming to a close, many students are thinking about housing for the upcoming year, and for those involved with Greek Life, living in their organization’s house is an option that appeals to many. 

Earlier this academic year, multiple Greek Organizations were suspended and one lost its on-campus housing, resulting in a vacancy on Greek Row. 

Kappa Sigma was found responsible for physical hazing and was suspended for at least five years.

Kappa Sigma was involved in an investigation from the Office of Student Conduct,” said former Kappa Sigma Vice President Jarod Miller, “and the conclusion from there was that we were to be suspended from the row and a subsequent investigation led to the removal of us from campus entirely.”

Headshot of Dean Douglas Pearson from the Mercer University website.

The job of deciding quick organization will take over the house left vacant by Kappa Sigma falls, in part, to Dr. Douglas Pearson, Mercer’s vice president for student affairs and dean of students.

“When a house is vacant, my office will work closely with the Office of Campus Life and the Office of Residence Life and Housing to evaluate and decide what the best use for that house will be, both short-term and long-term,” said Pearson. 

In the short term, the lack of occupancy means Mercer will not be able to charge rent.  When asked if he would consider renting the house to students not affiliated with Greek organizations, Pearson said “this decision would be guided by a commitment to keep Greek Row filled with fraternity and sorority organizations, but also with the need to try to reach 100% housing occupancy.”

Miller said he hopes that Kappa Sigma will eventually be allowed to move back into the house.