United Therapeutic Services serves families

Lakeysha Smith is the president and CEO of United Therapeutic Services here in Macon. She started this company in 2019 because of her passion to help serve families and youth. The goal of her business is to strengthen families socially, emotionally, and psychologically. Smith says that communication is one of the strongest tools families should learn to use within their households.

“We talk about communication,” Smith said. “Having open and honest communication with your parents and understanding the consequences of negative decision making. If there is open communication, that will segue into the matter of making better choices.”

Smith was awarded a grant through the Macon Violence Prevention Program for an organization she created with Macon Arts Alliance: Anti Violence Academy. AVA has a lot in common with United Therapeutic Services as it strives to strengthen families who might have issues with parenting skills or youth who have behavioral challenges. Smith looked at statistics to track crimes committed by teens to the core. She found that many of these crimes occur between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m.

“Sometimes youth and young adults are desperate,” Smith said. “They’re out trying to make quick money. Mom and dad might not be working or have the resources that are needed in the home.”

Smith started AVA in late July into early August and has dealt with various obstacles while getting the organization off the ground. Recruiting families to get involved was one of the toughest things for her, but she got creative by going to open community events such as church and back-to-school functions.

“We’ve been really fortunate that those we’ve recruited have attended regularly,” Smith said. “We’re constantly engaging in recruitment efforts.”

Another challenge Smith discussed was the general challenges that come with working in the human services sector. She does her best to stay grounded and true to herself while also keeping up with current trends and everything going on in the society that surrounds her.

“It’s been interesting, I must say,” Smith said. “But I have no regrets. I enjoy the challenges that come with it as well as the rewards.”