Unlocking Literacy: A Collaborative Approach to Empowering Youth Through Reading

Jacqueline (left) & Benjamin (right) Dvorak were seated at a table in the corner of the Washington Memorial Library children’s section in Macon, Ga. on Apr. 8, 2024. Benjamin and his mother frequent the library weekly to do homework and check out books. Here, the mother-son duo is working on his reading and spelling. (Photo by Jassmyn Nesmith)
Jassmyn Nesmith

In a time where information is more available and accessible than ever, the need for literacy in adolescence is critical.

Olena Stadnik-Floore, Director of Elementary Services at Bibb County School District, defines literacy and literacy rates as “the percentage of students at a given age group that can read, write, and speak efficiently.”  

According to U.S. News & World Report, approximately 18% of elementary students achieved reading proficiency based on recent assessments in Bibb County Public Schools. One of the many factors contributing to this could be access to adequate reading material. The U.S. Department of Education notes that data from the National Center for Education Statistics reports that access to print reading materials is linked with better childhood literacy outcomes. 

Floore says that Bibb County schools have been proactive in their approach to teaching reading and writing.  They have implemented a structured literacy approach using the science behind reading. This initiative started in the 2018-2019 school year, which Floore says was ahead of its time for the state. Structured literacy, according to the International Dyslexia Association, is the teaching style that emphasizes teaching the critical components of literacy, such as spelling, phonics, and syllables.  

These innovative initiatives are carried out across the county to help students become literate adults. Floore explained that all elementary language arts teachers, administrators, and academic coaches are trained in the science of reading and structured literacy. 

One of their most innovative approaches is AMIRA Tutor, an AI program that listens to students read and assesses their literacy needs. AMIRA Tutor and several other early intervention strategies, including literacy surveys, help school officials identify student literacy retention gaps. According to Floore, this also allows educators to see progress in fostering proficient readers and writers. 

However, these goals continue beyond the classroom door. The Middle Georgia Regional libraries are also committed to advancing the literacy skills of school-age children by giving them a place to play and practice outside of the classroom. Washington Memorial Library in downtown Macon is one of those libraries. 

Thomas Winkelspecht is the Children’s Services Coordinator at Washington Memorial Library. To him, literacy is growth. “I think being able to read is the best way to explore the world around you and figure things out,” he says. 

Using census data, Washington Memorial Library communicates with the Bibb County School District to assess students’ literacy needs. The information gathered helps to create programs and resources available at the library free of charge. 

One of these programs is the summer program called “1000 Books Before Kindergarten.” They also host year-round weekly book clubs. These programs allow students to get familiar with reading in a non-classroom setting while also practicing citing thinking and reading comprehension. Winkelspecht believes that these initiatives help students not just in adolescence but also into adulthood. “It’s not only a matter of being able to read a book, but being able to take a financial document and logically explore it or understand a bill or a housing application,” he says.  

The collaboration between the public schools in Bibb County and the public libraries is a testament to the county’s commitment to raising literacy rates among youth. This partnership opens the doors of opportunity for the students it supports.