Highlight Videos on the 2020 Football Season around Macon-Bibb County

Students in a video class at Mercer’s Center for Collaborative Journalism made short films for various high school football teams around the greater Macon area. Some students filmed at practices while others filmed at games. These films were intended to spotlight each football team, providing a teaser for their season. Despite the obstacles each team faced with the pandemic, students focused and trained. For many, the football season made a very irregular year feel a little bit more normal.

Micah Johnston interviewed Brian Nelson, head coach of the Mary Persons High School’s football team, who speaks about the 2020 season. 

Tiara Watkins spoke to Joseph Dupree, Jr. about the 2020 season for Southwest. The Southwest Patriots played at the  Ed DeFore Sports Complex at 7:30 against Jasper County on Friday, October 9th in Macon, Georgia.

The Northside High varsity football team has a lot going for them — grit, training and brotherhood, to name a few. This year, despite the obstacles the world has put in their way, they’re ready to take the field, seniors leading the way. This video is by Mercer’s Mary Helene Hall.

Kayla Davis interviewed Stratford Academy Head Football coach Mark Farriba about how the team is adjusting. They are looking forward to being able to play football this fall due to the coronavirus.

Coach Paul Carroll of the Howard Huskies describes the challenges facing this season and how his team has prepared for them in an interview with Will Magruder. With Howard students learning virtually, it’s a strange season for the team.

Serena Golden spoke with the Academy for Classical Education’s coach Jason Stephens on Friday, Oct. 2 before their game against Rutland High School. Stevens said playing football again has been good for his students.

Tattnall Square Academy’s John Abernathy spoke with Macee Palmer on Wednesday, Sept. 30 following the team’s win against Deerfield-Windsor on Sept. 25. Abernathy was happy about the team’s ability to return to football after the Covid-19 pandemic shutdown school sports.

Mercer student Angel Colquitt spoke with Coach Risper of the Westside Seminoles on Monday, October 5. Risper expressed high hopes for the upcoming season.

Faith Montgomery spoke with Northeast High School’s Jeremy Wiggins on Oct. 24 before their game against Brunswick. Wiggins talked about why fans should come out to see the Raiders.

Mercer’s Alexander McKay discussed the upcoming season with Mount De Sale Academy High School’s Keith Hatcher on Friday, Oct. 16. Hatcher was hoping to build off of years of previous success and looking forward to the rest of the season.

Central High School’s Head Football Coach, Joaquin Sample spoke with Hunter Gause on Oct. 30 before their game against Americus-Sumter. They won the game 22-11.

Rutland High School’s football coach Rusty Eastman spoke to Jenna Sanders about the 2020 season. He talks about how the team struggled in the beginning of games, but they ended up coming back to battle in the end.