Middle Georgia Universities Update COVID-19 Rules for Fall Semester

The+Mercer+University+Bookstore+is+selling+masks+at+a+discounted+rate+in+Mercer+Village.+

Keith Holmes Jr.

The Mercer University Bookstore is selling masks at a discounted rate in Mercer Village.

Starting Friday, Duke University will require all individuals who are unvaccinated to wear masks in the university’s buildings. 

Many colleges and universities around the country have been altering their COVID-19 restrictions for the Fall semester, but what about those in Middle Georgia? 

Wesleyan College 

Protect the Pact 2.0 is Wesleyan’s, community based, program designed to encourage students to get vaccinated and be responsible on campus. 

Like Duke University, Wesleyan is requiring “all students, faculty, staff, contractors, and visitors” to wear masks in all public indoor spaces regardless of vaccination status. 

Students who are vaccinated must report their vaccination status “to help us track our level of community immunity” according to Wesleyan’s COVID-19 policy page

Unvaccinated students must self-quarantine off campus for 10 days if exposed to another person who tested positive. They must also get tested immediately and contact their professors for class accommodations.

Wesleyan’s page says that they want all students and staff to “work together to make this a safe, productive, and rewarding year for all of the Wesleyan community.”

Middle Georgia State University 

MGSU is “resuming normal operations for Fall Semester 2021,” according to their Coronavirus information page

Fully vaccinated individuals do not have to wear face coverings on campus and are not required to quarantine if exposed to COVID-19. 

The university is only strongly encouraging individuals who are not fully vaccinated to wear face coverings and continue to practice social distancing when possible. Non-vaccinated individuals will have to quarantine if exposed to the COVID-19 virus. 

MGSU’s Coronavirus page also contains a note. 

“It is important to remember that the COVID-19 pandemic is not over,” the note said. “Middle Georgia State University will continue to comply with all federal, state, and local guidelines pertaining to COVID-19.” 

Georgia College & State University 

Like MGSU, GCSU is allowing students to return to near normalcy. 

According to their COVID-19 & Fall 2021 Resources page, fully vaccinated individuals can return to normal activities without wearing a mask, while unvaccinated individuals are strongly encouraged to wear a mask while inside campus facilities. 

Unvaccinated individuals are also strongly encouraged to continue social distancing and must quarantine if they come into contact with someone who has COVID-19. 

The University will also follow state guidelines for travel, events, athletics and gatherings. 

GCSU’s said in their statement that, “It’s time now to look to the fall when we will return to a more normal life on campus.” 

Mercer University 

In their Coronavirus page, Mercer University said they would “encourage personal responsibility through the ‘Bears Care’ initiative to mitigate the risks of spreading the coronavirus.” 

“Personal responsibility” includes expecting unvaccinated individuals to “take personal responsibility” by wearing masks in indoor common areas and social distancing. 

Fully vaccinated students are not required to wear masks or distance unless they are in the  Student Health Center or in the health science buildings. 

Mercer is also enhancing their sanitizing and disinfecting protocols along with increasing safety protocols for student organizations and events. 

All four universities noted that they would be monitoring changes in COVID-19 infection rates and government policies in their mandates.